Employment Pathway - Internships
“Where do I get experience from if no one is willing to hire me?” The answer is simple, come talk to us about our Internship Programme.
Our Internship Programme offers people with an intellectual disability and/or Austism Spectrum Disorder the chance to learn in a supportive setting where you have the opportunity to achieve your own learning goals while being paid (at least minimum wage). Our Internship Programme also offers you the opportunity to work alongside a facilitator not only through the Internship, but throughout your continued employment pathway.
Why you should apply:
- Learn new skills and add to your knowledge base while gaining confidence in your abilities
- Opportunity to practice communication and teamwork skills
- Gain industry knowledge
- Provide evidence that you have initiative, are reliable, and have a sense of responsibility
- Achieve a sense of accomplishment
- Meet new people and practice new skills
- Open door policy for advice for the next steps to take on your career path
- Gain valuable experience and accomplishments to add to your resume
- Create an advantage over other job applicants
- Work closely with the employment team to source employment
- Work alongside a professional in your assigned role
- It’s a low commitment way to test out a job and career path
- Earn while you learn
- Build and develop relationships
The CCT Community and Employment team are friendly professionals committed to finding the right job for the right person.
We offer 5 jobs through our programme. We offer a 6 month internship which runs from September to March and March to September. We currently have 7 Interns employed.
The first position is Office Cleaning. It consists of a variety of tasks including luxing, dusting, glass cleaning, kitchen and toilet cleaning etc. The Support Centre is where it all happens.
The second position is Car Grooming. The car grooming process is a fun and enjoyable way of working outside. It includes cleaning the interior and exterior of the car. And also doing carrying out vehicle checks. We have a fleet of 50 plus cars so enough to keep you busy.
The third position is Property Maintenance. In this job you jump on board with Carla and her crew. This is an offsite role, working at pre-arranged appointments. Expect hedge cutting, bush sheering, lawn mowing, digging, weeding and much more.
The fourth position is My Food Bag deliveries. Here you get to navigate your way through Dunedin streets (with the help of a driver) delivering parcels and boxes of goodies to people’s homes. Use up to date technology to scan and record your stock.
The fifth position is Receptionist. This is a front facing role at the reception desk of CCT. This role teaches skills like emailing, scanning, printing, phone answering, banking and lots more. Ideal of somebody looking to improve/learn admin duties.
All jobs are supported, demonstrated and coached throughout by our friendly professionals.
The Internship is split into 2 parts. The first part is called Work Experience. Work experience are unpaid trials that give you a chance to sample a variety of the different jobs over a 6 week period.
The second part is a fixed term 18 week paid internship. In these 18 weeks you will learn new skills and develop existing abilities.
Applicants will be invited for interviews.
Please contact Tara or Alison at the Dunedin Support Centre on 03 466 3055.